- The group heads to Tamravena, home of the Wall Guard to get the blind Pharasman priest some help and send a letter back to Ravengro to father Grimsburrow about his lost brother.
- While there, Ronit undergoes a taxing ritual to remove the necrotic cyst, performed by Father Ulmanoon. The father is pleased to hear of the death of Dr Meklovich.
- While recovering from the trip from Ravensgro, the group hears a variety of noteworthy gossips
- At the corners of Burk and Glass streets, there has been a string of murders. The victims are rich merchants, money lenders, and others connected to the aristocracy
- At the north gate, rumors are that the guard captain, Captain Rasrokin has been detaining honest citizens as “orc spies” without cause.
- Varisian gypsies, lead by Harnin Mirgrabos, have been protesting and vandalizing the city
Ronit needed a day of rest, so the group split up to check out some of these rumors. Hobo and Forthing went to check out the northern gate and Captain Rasrokin. They had a marvelous time orchestrating a fake orc attack with illusion magic, setting Forthing up as the hero of the day. He was subsequently offered a position with the guards.
Shiogi and Kelda went to investigate the murders. They discovered that the victims were left with a note “Regards, K” and that K is a member of the Order of the Palatine Eye. The victims seem to all be members of the Order that were executed for breaking the order’s rules. While unpleasant, Shiogi and Kelda decided that the deaths were within the rules of the order and therefore not the concern of the party.
Once Ronit was on her feet, the group decided to investigate the northern gate situation a bit more closely. Further investigation revealed that while the guards did seem to single out any disfigured people for closer investigation, there didn’t seem to be anything illegal going on.
Questioning of the Varisians outside of the north gate revealed the general discontent among the refugees encamped.
The group began to suspect that maybe the orc threat to the north was being a bit exaggerated in order to cover up some other activities, and decided to go looking for the guard patrols and orcs. They were easily able to find an encampment of guards only a few hours outside of the city. The guards warned the group to be wary of orcs, and the group headed off for Leptistat on a direct route, hoping to encounter some orcs.
As they made camp for the night, they made a dummy camp with a campfire, hoping to attract orcs. While orcs were certainly attracted, they didn’t seem to be fooled by the fake campsite.
Shiogi ran ahead to check out the situation while Hobo woke the party for battle.
The party was caught by surprise when the orcs had significant magic, both divine and arcane. A darkness spell was nearly the end of the entire party, and Shiogi took a fatal blow. The rest of the group barely managed to finish off the orcs and were shakily taking stock of the situation when Shiogi woke with a coughing breath.
Irori had returned Shiogi to life with a mission…to discover the origins of the Sinspawn.
The group saddled up and limped off quickly to Lepistat, this time following the road and hoping to avoid any further encounter with orcs.